Rediscover Day Trips
Near Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel
Here at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel we make planning day trips easy. Located in the heart of County Tipperary we are a fantastic location for a great day out for those looking to explore some of Ireland’s Ancient East, The Hidden Heartlands and the Wild Atlantic Way.
From wild winding coastal roads to high mountain passes and from gentle lakeside rides to day trips through endless lush green valleys, we have compiled some of the best driving routes and popular sights all within one or two hours of our hotel. Not only do you get great scenery at every turn, but you also experience this part of Ireland’s rural villages, pubs, local people, ancient history, heritage, mythology and ancient trading and pilgrim paths. You will have plenty of stories to tell on your return from your break away to Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel.
So, whether you are travelling solo, as a couple, with friends or making memories as a family, we have the perfect day trips compiled for you.
Day Trips from the Heart of Tipperary
Planning the perfect day trip itinerary does not have to be stressful or overwhelming as we here at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel have explored these destinations from top to bottom to compile our favourite ones.
Family Day Trips
Start your morning off right before you head on your chosen day trip with either a delicious full Irish or continental breakfast served in our Junction One Restaurant which is located on the ground floor of the hotel.
Castle & Coastal Day Trip
First stop: King John’s Castle – Immerse yourselves in one of the most beautiful castles in Ireland which dates back to 1200’s.
Next stop: Surf’s always up at Lahinch beach, which is just 1 hour’s drive from Limerick city.
Where to eat: The Locke Bar – Lovely for some pub grub on the way home where you can also enjoy traditional Irish Music there daily
Caves & Pet Farm Day Trip
First stop: Mitchelstown caves (40 mins from hotel)
Lunch: Hunter’s Restaurant, Mitchelstown (15 mins from caves)
Next stop: Parson’s Green Pet Farm (25 mins from Mitchelstown)
Swim & chill in the hotel for the evening (43 mins from Parsons back to the hotel)
Rediscover Heritage Day Trip
First stop: Rock of Cashel (30 mins from hotel)
Next stop: Cahir Castle
Next stop: Swiss Cottage (20 mins from hotel)
Couple Day Trips
Active Day Trip
- Set out early & head for Lake Muskry, a three-hour walking route on the Galtee Mountains (25 mins from hotel)
- Moderate Hike
- The Vee, stunning views for a picnic or take a walk to the Baylough (1 hour & 8 mins from Lake Muskry)
Return after a long day to cocktails and food in our garden in the evening (1 hour & 16 mins from the Vee)
Day Trips For Everyone
Rediscover the Outdoors
- Mitchelstown Caves (40 mins from Hotel)
- Lismore Castle, tour the gardens adult €9 child €6.50 (38 mins from the caves)
- Feeling energetic, take the Lady Louisa Loop, down by the river & into the woodlands, only 2.5km or there are multiple other walking trails in the area
- Food, the loop walk brings you past Foleys Bar Lismore – great food & service (booking advised) –
Return to the hotel (1 hour & 7 mins) and relax and unwind with our leisure facilities
- Crescent shopping centre (40 mins from Hotel)
- Limerick city (10 mins from Cresent)
- Have a spot of Lunch in the Locke Bar or House
Shopping can be exhausting so make sure you return to the warmth and comfort of the Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel and refuel with dinner in the Junction One Bar or Junction One Restaurant and relax and unwind in the comfort and luxury of your guestroom.
Head West on your Day Trip
- Bunratty Folk Park (40 minutes from Hotel)
- Lunch at Durty Nellies – described as one of Ireland’s landmark Irish pubs, nestled in the shadow of Bunratty Castle
- Head for Lahinch beach (45 minutes from Bunratty)
After exploring the coastal town of Lahinch, return to us here at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel and enjoy bistro-style dining with our extensive bar food menu.
Day Trip to Cork
- Fermoy River Walk (50 mins from Hotel)
- Lunch in Hannah’s Restaurant, Ballycotton
- Light House Tour (book online – €27 per adult & €16 per child) or Ballycotton Cliff Walk which is free (50 mins from Fermoy)
- Eat at Kush Restaurant (Michelin star restaurant – booking is advised) or The Schooner (casual dining) Ballycotton
Return to our hotel in one hour and 30 mins and relax and unwind in our ultra-comfortable beds which are ideal after a long day of exploring all that Cork has to offer.
Historic Day Trip to Cork
- Titanic Experience Cobh
- Spike Island St Finbarr’s Cathedral, dating back to 1870, entry fee is €6 per adult
- Lunch – Franciscan Well, if you like beer you can do a tasting with delicious pizza or Clancy’s rooftop bar for a mix of international dishes & great cocktails
Return from Cork to the hotel in one hour and 15 minutes and discuss the day with loves ones over a delicious cocktail or drink in Junction One Bar.
Book Your Stay
Located in the heart of County Tipperary we are a fantastic location for a great day out for those looking to explore some of Ireland’s Ancient East, The Hidden Heartlands and the Wild Atlantic WayBook Now
Some of our Day Trip Destinations
at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel
Rediscover Road Trips during your stay at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel and visit one of the most spectacular caves in Ireland, Mitchelstown Caves in Co. TipperaryREAD MORE
Experience this fantastic Swiss Cottage during your Road Trip, built in the early 1800s by Richard Butler, 1st Earl of Glengall to a design by the famous Regency architect John Nash.READ MORE
Parsons Green Pet Farm
Parsons Green Pet Farm offers the ideal venue for a day trip out with all of the Family, from Toddlers to Grandparents there is fun and interesting activities around every corner.READ MORE
Take a Road Trip to an extraordinary setting in Waterford. Described as a combination of modern luxury and authentic history Lismore Castle is a must see.READ MORE
Cliffs of Moher
Rediscover Road Trips during your stay at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel and experience one of Ireland’s most famous sights, The Cliffs of Moher.READ MORE
Rediscover Road Trips during your stay at Great National Ballykisteen Golf Hotel and take a trip to Ballycotton, a hidden gem of East Cork.READ MORE